During the meeting, the Head of the State congratulated Serikbay kazhy Oraza on his being elected as the Supreme Mufti of Kazakhstan.
- I invited you on the eve of Independence Day in order to congratulate you on your election to such a high post. Thanks to Independence, we had the opportunity to revive our traditions and profess the religion of our ancestors. The state has done everything to provide every citizen with freedom of religion, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted the special role of the state represented by the Ministry for Religious Affairs and Civil Society in regulating religious relations.
- Kazakhstan is a secular state. The Ministry was not created for the purpose of any restriction of religion. The Ministry is intended to ensure order in the religious sphere so that believers do not violate each other's rights, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State also drew attention to the need for joint work to widely explain and communicate to the public the main provisions of the forthcoming draft law on religious activities.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev recalled the meeting with representatives of the Spiritual Board of Muslims of Kazakhstan in April this year, where there was a discussion of the need to improve consciousness, preserve the historical and spiritual wealth of Kazakhstan.
- Patriotism, love of the Motherland, stability within the country and in the region is the guarantee of our future. For this, we must work together, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Kazakh leader underlined the traditional character of the Hanafi madhhab for Kazakh Muslims and noted the need to clarify the foundations of this trend of Islam.
- We have young people among believers, who are visiting mosques in the fashion craze, who are cropping pants and growing beards. It is necessary for all of them to explain correctly the foundations of Islam, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State also stressed the need for individual explanatory work with followers of radical religious movements.
-We need to attract qualified imams who know the Qur'an and hadith to explain the provisions of the traditional Hanafi madhhab and its difference from destructive currents, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev focused on developing sponsorship not only for social support to that in need, but also for scientific research, conferences, and advocacy.
In turn, the Supreme Mufti of Kazakhstan thanked the Head of State for being received.
-The Spiritual Directorate of Muslims faces a big task to revive the historically established traditional religious school, Serikbay kazhy Oraz said.
- In your article "Looking into the Future: Improving Public Consciousness" you say about the need to follow new trends and changes in the surrounding world. Today, our imams are studying new literature and applying this knowledge in conducting sermons and services, the Supreme Mufti said.
At the end of the meeting, the President of Kazakhstan and the Supreme Mufti discussed the issues of religious education.