In the course of the talks, the Head of the State has underscored that the President of Turkmenistan’s state visit takes place on the 25th anniversary of establishing diplomatic relations between the two countries.
- For a quarter of a century our relations have developed on mutual trust and support. Turkmenistan is an important partner and ally of Kazakhstan in the region. The peoples of our countries are brothers and good neighbors to each other, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev made a point of developing certain aspects of bilateral cooperation, including in the transit-transport and energy spheres, placing greater focus on the availability of great prospects in other areas.
- Today we are finalizing the most important agreement on strategic partnership between Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan. Relations go to a new stage of progress thanks to this agreement. We solve all questions of borders between our countries. These will be the only two countries without any border problems, the Head of the State said.
In turn, Gurbanguly Berdymuhamedov expressed confidence that his current state visit to Kazakhstan would strengthen cooperation between the two states.
The two leaders discussed issues of international politics, regional cooperation, bilateral cooperation, including cultural, humanitarian and social spheres.
- Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan are gaining a good reputation in the international arena. We define our positions on issues of peace, stability and security not only in the region, but throughout the world within the framework of such international structures as the UN and the OSCE, Gurbanguly Berdymuhamedov said.
Also, following the results of the talks in the expanded format, the leaders of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan have made a statement for the media.
Nursultan Nazarbayev pointed up that the Intergovernmental Commission on Economic Cooperation chaired by the countries’ Deputy Prime Ministers would play a special role in fulfilling the key tasks of bilateral cooperation.
The President of Kazakhstan stressed that during the talks the parties paid attention to the issues of improving the contractual and legal framework, participation of enterprises in large infrastructure projects of the two countries, as well as issues of transit and transport cooperation.
- Launch of "Kazakhstan - Turkmenistan - Iran" railway can be considered a historic event in the sphere of transit-transport cooperation. Our entrepreneurs should use this advantage in strengthening mutual trade turnover, the Head of the State said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev drew attention to the fact that during the talks the water and energy sphere and mainstreaming the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea had become a separate topic of discussion.
- We have once again confirmed that the water resources of Central Asia’s transboundary rivers are common heritage. Fate of tens of millions of people depends on their reasonable use. This year, the chairmanship of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea went to Turkmenistan, said the President of Kazakhstan.
The Head of the State said that the leaders of the two countries discussed the current affairs of the international and regional agenda.
At the end of the state visit to Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev awarded the President of Turkmenistan with "Dostyk" Order of Degree 1.
The following documents have been carried by based on the state visit’s results of the President of Turkmenistan to the Republic of Kazakhstan:
- Joint statement of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the President of Turkmenistan;
- Agreement on strategic partnership between the Republic of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan;
- Agreement between the Republic of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan on demarcation of the Kazakh-Turkmen state border;
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of Turkmenistan on the Kazakh-Turkmen Intergovernmental Commission;
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of Turkmenistan on mutual protection of classified information;
- Program of cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan for 2017-2018;
- Agreement between the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Finance of Turkmenistan on cooperation in countering the legalization (laundering) of proceeds from crime and terrorism financing;
- Agreement on establishing twinning relations between Astana and Ashgabat;
- Agreement on cooperation between "Atameken", National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Kazakhstan, and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Turkmenistan.