The President of Kazakhstan greeted Sooronbay Jeenbekov, President of Kyrgyzstan, Emomali Rahmon, President of Tajikistan, Shavkat Mirziyoyev, President of Uzbekistan, as well as the Chairman of the Mejlis of Turkmenistan Akdzhu Nurberdyev.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted that the initiative of holding regular working consultations for resolving intra-regional issues belongs to President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev.
- We can solve all the arising problems together. It is symbolic that our meeting is being held on the threshold of the common for all of us Nauryz Holiday. Kazakhstan has always strived for close economic cooperation with its neighbours, especially with the countries of Central Asia, where we have the common history, culture, worldview and attitude, the Head of State said.
The President of Kazakhstan dwelled on the advantages of holding such consultative meetings at the highest level, noting the importance of uniting the potential of the Central Asian countries, increasing intraregional trade, ensuring regional security and rapprochement of nations.
- It is a pleasure to state that significant progress has been made in political cooperation between our countries. We have managed to establish a dialogue between the heads of foreign affairs agencies. I was happy to see your foreign ministers in New York, during the UN Security Council meeting. This was a serious support. We should always do that way by supporting each other, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of State has positively assessed the process of strengthening interstate cooperation between the countries of the region over the past year, highlighting the special efforts of all the leaders of the Central Asian countries.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev placed greater focus on developing relations between Central Asian countries and Kazakhstan.
- In 2017, Kazakhstan's exports to each of your countries amounted to 35%. Meetings of intergovernmental commissions are regularly held. New border crossing points open. There is a simplified passport control. New roads and bridges are being built. We agree the issue of borders. Transport connection is being arranged. New flights and high-speed trains are being launched, the President of Kazakhstan said.
At the same time, the Head of State pointed to the need for further strengthening of ties with the leading regional countries - the Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China.
In conclusion, Nursultan Nazarbayev expressed confidence in the meeting’s fruitful nature, the results of which will serve for the benefit of all the regional nations.
The President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov took the floor next; he also noted the importance of building mutually beneficial cooperation in the area.
- Today's meeting will serve to renew and intensify our friendly and good-neighbourly relations. It will give a new impetus to our common aspirations aimed at greater rapprochement of our countries and nations. I would like to express my gratitude to Nursultan Nazarbayev for the hospitality and excellent organization of the meeting of the Heads of Central Asian States, the President of the Kyrgyz Republic said.
In his speech, President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon spoke about developing the transit and transport potential of Central Asia, the rational use of water and energy resources, cultural interaction and the regional security strengthening.
- Increasing challenges and threats to security, such as terrorism, extremism, drug trafficking, transnational organized crime, religious radicalism require us to use all mechanisms for effective and prompt response to them. Solving these issues is a priority task for our interaction, as changing the situation in one country can negatively affect the situation in the whole region, Emomali Rahmon said.
President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev emphasized developing trade and economic cooperation, interstate cooperation in ensuring regional security and stability.
-All our joint actions, projects and programs will undoubtedly strengthen the atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, fill with concrete content close regional cooperation that fully meets the interests and is wholly supported by our nations, the President of Uzbekistan said.
Akdzhu Nurberdyev, Chairman of the Mejlis of Turkmenistan, read out the appeal of President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov to the working meeting participants.
- Cooperation with the nearest neighbours in Central Asia is one of the priority aspects of Turkmenistan's foreign policy strategy. Our country is committed to the widest cooperation with the regional nations, in every way facilitating the progress of an equitable and trustful dialogue in all directions, both in bilateral and multilateral formats, Akdzhu Nurberdyev said.