Opening the meeting, the Head of State dwelled on the historic stages of constructing and forming of Astana, especially noting the merits of all the participants in this process.
- We fulfilled the dream of our ancestors and built a capital in the heart of Saryarka. We managed to create a beautiful city and open it for the whole world. Astana has become the pride of the whole nation. A large number of people worked here tirelessly, despite the weather conditions, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev focused on Astana’s special status and high authority on the world stage.
- In a short historical period we managed to create a real million metropolis with the appropriate infrastructure. Astana is a well-known city in the world, where the most important world events take place, which attract the attention of the entire globe, the Head of State said.
The meeting heard the report of Astana akim Asset Issekeshev, who said about implementing projects for the development and transformation of urban infrastructure and construction of social facilities. In particular, Asset Issekeshev spoke about digitization in healthcare, construction of housing facilities, actualization of social projects, introduction of a new energy model and performing works aimed at improving the environmental situation in the city.
Having heard the report, the President of Kazakhstan positively assessed the achievement of a number of economic indicators, including the volume of attracted investments, progress of small and medium business.
- Astana is the fastest growing city in our country. The number of citizens has exceeded 1 million people. Along with the growing number of residents, housing construction is gaining momentum. In 20 years, commissioned 20 million square meters of housing, 53 new schools and 26 hospitals, "said Nursultan Nazarbayev.
The Head of State underlined Astana’s crucial role in the further prosperity of the country and certain economic sectors.
- The decision to build the city was right. Astana has become a new point of further development of the economy, growth of the population, progress of science, technology and innovation. All funds for its construction have already been refunded, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev urged all Kazakhstani Address to Kazakhstan’s Nation New Development Opportunities in the Fourth Industrial Revolution and Five Social Initiatives of the President document.
At the same time, the Head of State separately dwelt on issues that require increased attention of the city administration and authorized state bodies.
In particular, the President of Kazakhstan instructed to conduct awareness-raising work among representatives of small and medium-sized businesses regarding the rules for using summer trading platforms.
Nursultan Nazarbayev also pointed out the inefficient use of agricultural land and noted the existing problems with the organization of places of wholesale and retail sales (markets).
In addition, the Head of State dwelled on the issues of food security, effective use of tourist facilities, and use of the video monitoring system referred to as Sergek, addressing the issue of shabby and dilapidated housing, and noted the importance of the strategic development of the megacities of the country.
- Until 2050, the population of Almaty should reach 2.5 million people, in Astana - 2 million people and in Shymkent - 1.5 million people. These cities will turn into growth points with excellent services. Other cities also need to have their own development programs. The Cabinet needs to study this issue, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev pointed to the need to ensure timely control in the sphere of housing and communal services and instructed to study the issue of creating parking spaces in the city.
The Kazakh leader focused on ensuring people’s safety in public places, reminding those present about the tragedy in the city of Kemerovo.
The President of Kazakhstan noted the expediency of applying the best practices of EXPO-2017 in the field of energy supply, and instructed to work out the issue of creating a gasification system within the city.
The meeting discussed the matters related to developing transport infrastructure and constructing the light rail network (LRT), constructing leisure facilities and educational facilities, solving environmental problems of the city and waste processing.
At the end of the meeting, Nursultan Nazarbayev was shown an experimental electric IVECO HEULIEZ BUS.