The event dedicated to the logistics and transport potential development of the Eurasian space was attended by representatives of state bodies and business communities of the two countries.
Addressing those present, the Head of State stressed that the annual meeting in such a format has a key role in the progress of bilateral relations.
- We have pressing matters of logistics and transport on the agenda today. Special things about Kazakhstan and Russia are their vast territory and geographical location, which should be turned into competitive strengths. In particular, our countries have a great potential in the area of transit transport. I would like to emphasize that we are strategic partners in this regard, not competitors. It is therefore necessary to jointly develop logistics and transport system. Transport sector should be one of the growth drivers of our economies, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted that currently the Eurasian Economic Union is the crucial element in the Great Silk Road’s revival.
- The recent G20 Summit has referred to the need of coordinating economic policies. It is symbolic that during this event the Plan of linking our ‘Nurly Zhol’ infrastructure program with the ‘Economic Times of the Silk Road’ Chinese initiative has been approved. It would be correct that Kazakhstan and Russia toe the line, and execute projects in collaboration, he said.
The President of Kazakhstan highlighted a number of major infrastructure projects implemented in our country, and which made it possible to optimize the architecture of International Transport Corridors.
- There is a route diversity and complementarity. All that should refocus international through traffic from marine ways to overland routes. Consolidation of our efforts and synchronization of work in this direction is important, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
Given the issues discussed during the forum the Head of our State suggested assigning the two countries’ governments to strengthen coordination of action on logistics and transport system development.
- Everything necessary should be provided for drastic increase in volume of cargo carriage, and through traffic predominantly. Administrative procedures should be optimized; maximum transparency and execution simplicity are required in the mutual trade. The problem of access to the Russian transport infrastructure was also brought up. In this context, the relevant public authorities are to handle with these issues on a mutually beneficial basis, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted the need for expanding the activities of joint transport and logistics companies, as well as touched upon the aspects of the Eurasian Development Bank.
In conclusion, the Head of State reminded of the planned signing of a memorandum with a number of Russian regions within the context of getting prepared for EXPO-2017 international exhibition.
- On the sidelines of the Forum the memoranda of ‘National Company ‘Astana EXPO-2017’ JSC with the leaders of Omsk, Tyumen, Astrakhan, Sverdlovsk and Orenburg regions, the Republics of Tatarstan and Altai are to be approved. More than 5 million visits to the exhibition are expected in total, so the properly built logistics is crucial, the President of Kazakhstan said.
In his opening speech, Putin noted that Russia puts a priority on the development of multifaceted trade and investment relations with Kazakhstan.
- Our economic schemes are tightly intertwined; together we are accomplishing large-scale projects in industry, energy, agriculture; we are aggravating technological cooperation, and are putting up and strengthening the overall transport infrastructure. The most active role in the expansion of bilateral cooperation is played by the regions, the Russian President said.
Putin also laid stress on the timeliness of the topic to develop transport services.
- Russia and Kazakhstan are at the crossroads of major trade routes between Europe and Asia; we have a common customs border, we have a branching network of rail- and highways, and are capable of providing a high level of traffic safety, the Russian leader said.
At the same time, Putin drew attention to the joint participation of our countries in a number of international transport projects, and growing cooperation in the area of staff training for the logistics and transport industry.
In conclusion, the President of Russia assured Nursultan Nazarbayev that the Russian side would be the active participant of EXPO-2017 international exhibition and is ready to become a co-organizer of more than 100 events of its program.
Also during the Forum the speeches regarding the agenda were made by the Investment and Development Minister Zh. Kasymbek, Astana akim A. Issekeshev, akim of Aktyubinsk region B. Saparbayev, Transport Minister of the Russian Federation M. Sokol, the governor of Chelyabinsk region B. Dubrovsky and the governor of Astrakhan region A .Zhilkin.
At the end of the event the following documents were inked:
- Joint Action Plan of Kazakhstan and Russia for 2016-2018;
- Agreement between the Government of Kazakhstan and the Government of Russia on preserving the ecosystem of the Zhaiyk transboundary river basin (Urals);
- Protocol amending the Agreement between the Government of Kazakhstan and the Government of Russia on the peculiarities of the legal regulation of enterprises, institutions and organizations of railway transport as of 18 October 1996;
- Memorandum of understanding and expansion of strategic cooperation in the field of nuclear fuel cycle between the Ministry of Energy of Kazakhstan, ‘NAC ‘Kazatomprom’ JSC and ‘Rosatom’ State Corporation.